Annons:
Tagvegan-living
Read 2818 times
Niklas
2017-03-30 15:37

Can vegans have pets?

What's your reasoning regarding having or not having pets as vegans? Is it against the Vegan idea or is it okay if you give them a good life?

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
be vegan
2017-03-30 19:05

#0 It certainly is ok, if you adopt an animal in need of a home.

There are thousands (maybe more) of homeless animals in shelters around the world waiting for a forever home.

There are also thousands of animals being killed because they didn't find a home….

Animals are not products for us to buy and sell, but it's most definitely our responsibility to take care of the already existing animals in need of a home.

So if you have the possibility to open your home and your heart for a non human, please do.

But I do not regard it as a Vegan action to contribute to more animals being born as products and property for us to use, regardless how well we are to take care of that property.

Flowersite moderator for veganism savvityFlower

Niklas
2017-03-30 21:45

Thanks. I'd been thinking about that for a while and saw both answers as possible, so I asked.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

vendelay
2017-03-30 22:49

I agree with my eloquent site Moderator

I have two cats and one dwarfhamster, the cats are from a catshelter called Stockholms Katthem and the hamster is saved from a family who didn't want her anymore. Both cats and hamsters eat meat which I think is a hard question to struggle with. When I adopted the cats I wasn't Vegan but I love cats so much and will probably have more (from shelters of course) in the future even though they (according to today's science at least) need meat. 

It is Vegan to Help and adopt animals, but not to support breeders or similar people. It's harder to justify the right to give my pets meat as a Vegan, I actually don't know any other reason than "they need it and it's my responsibilty as their owner".

Niklas
2017-03-31 08:02

In nature animals eat meat. Is that wrong to a Vegan? They probably don't have a conscience the way humans do.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

vendelay
2017-03-31 13:07

No, I didn't mean that it's wrong for animals in the wild to eat meat. What I was trying to say was that there's a problem with being Vegan and buying meat to give to your domesticated animals.

Niklas
2017-03-31 13:29

Aha, I understand that.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
vendelay
2017-03-31 13:40

But that's something to write about in the thread about misconseptions about vegans - at Vegan iFokus (swedish Veganism Savvity) people have been asking if vegans wants all wildlife animals to go Vegan as well, so I guess that's a question people have. (The answer is no, the wildlife animals will not be forced to live on grass by vegans).

Scroll to top
Annons: