Annons:
Tagvegan-parents
Read 5375 times
vendelay
2017-09-02 14:00

"My daughter hates me for not being vegan"

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

The Guardian posted an open letter from a sad mother in March 2017. You can read the entire letter >here<. Here's some quotes from the letter:

"But it is not enough for you that I accommodate your choice. As you have explained many times, for you, veganism is not just about what you eat – it’s a lifestyle. […] You will not tolerate any opposing view. Crucially, you can no longer respect anyone who is not persuaded to go Vegan. And that means me."

"But, as a middle-aged woman, my choices in life are narrowing and will continue to narrow. I have no intention of limiting those choices further by going Vegan. In your eyes, that just makes me selfish."

"But I can’t tell you how hard it is to live with the knowledge that my own daughter is sickened by me. It is so important to me to feel worthy of your respect."

---

This is a difficult problem for sure. I don't hate my non-vegan family and friends though I can actually understand those who do. If you're not Vegan, try to replace animal products with human babies, puppies, kittens or whatever you hold close to your heart. It's really hard loving someone who kills so many individuals each day when you know in your soul it's wrong.

How do you feel about this problem?

Annons:
Niklas
2017-09-03 16:52

I am not Vegan but I am fond of Vegan food and I am sure that plant based food is good for my body. I think that is a better way to go when it comes to convincing people to go Vegetarian or Vegan. Carrots are usually better than sticks.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

vendelay
2017-09-03 22:52

#1 I agree with you - in theory. It's harder in reality. I'm guessing you'd be mad or disgusted or try to get your partner / parent / child Help if you found them killing and / or eating human babies, right? Is it then so difficult to understand why a Vegan would hate a non-vegan?

I'm NOT saying it's right and I absolutely agree with you that it's not helpful at all to hate everyone who eats meat, but I'm just saying that according to me it makes sense for a Vegan to have very strong negative feeling towards a non-vegan. 

Do I make any sense hehe?

Niklas
2017-09-04 10:50

I understand that people can hate because of it. It's just that i don't think that hate will accomplish much if it is change they want. :-)

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

vendelay
2017-09-04 21:01

I believe you're right 🙂

Niklas
2017-09-05 09:06

I think you are doing it the right way here when you are trying to guide us into veganism rather than beating us for not being Vegan enough. It's hard to become Vegan even without someone hating you.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

vendelay
2017-09-05 23:07

Thank you! I try hard to show how easy it is to go Vegan, but mostly in Swedish (since I live in Sweden and well, buy my stuff in Sweden).

Annons:
Wowy
2017-09-06 07:39

I feel I do not hate my non-vegan family because they are not Vegan. I hate their actions.

Vegan

because I do not see a reason not to be one

Sun

Niklas
2017-09-06 08:14

#7: Doesn't that rub off on how you treat them?

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

be vegan
2017-09-07 15:33

Being a middle aged woman myself, I'm curious what it is that's narrowing about that? Unless she's talking about being narrow minded, that has nothing to do with aged tho' Thinking

Hate is not the answer, the answer is education. But it can be frustrating when it comes to family and it's sometimes best left alone. There is plenty of others to educate.

I do understand this young womans frustration with her mother and even I feel some frustration with her reading this letter. I mean really, accuse your daughter of hating you in a public letter, how is that going to earn her respect?

Learn more and educate yourself about veganism instead. What's there to lose? The worst (best) that will happen is that you go vegan Laughing

FYI being Vegan doesn't mean limiting yourself. On the contrary it opens a new world full of new perspectives and delicious food 🙂

Flowersite moderator for veganism savvityFlower

Scroll to top
Annons: