Annons:
Tagvegan-living
Read 4711 times
vendelay
2017-09-26 17:00

Compassion Arts Festival

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

(Photo by Tim Marshall on Unsplash)

If I lived in New York City I'd love to visit the Compassion Arts Festival this October! A festival with a Vegan message expressed through different art forms, such as music, film, painting etc. Their mission is to spread knowledge and Help people make the connection between eating meat and killing living beings. If you're interested you can go have a look at the presenters >here<.

All proceeds go to the non-profit organization Culture and Animals Foundations.

Annons:
Niklas
2017-09-26 22:08

It’s a worthy cause. I think they are going about it the wrong way to maximize the outcome though. Scaring people doesn’t work that way. It makes people distance themselves from those conveying the message. I believe in showing people the benefits of eating Vegetarian. In addition to being healthy it also is very tasty to eat well made Vegetarian or Vegan food. There still are many who doesn’t know that.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

vendelay
2017-09-26 22:45

I don't agree with you actually. This is just my personal thoughts and not anything that necessarily reflects how Veganism Savvity view things but I think it's pretty obvious that showing people tasty Vegan food isn't enough. Sure, people maybe decide to eat Vegan once in a while but that's not what this organization (or me) wants. I want you all to go Vegan for real. If you read people's stories on why they went Vegan you won't hear many people saying it's only because of the food. People don't go Vegan because of amazing tasting Vegan food - people go Vegan out of compassion.

Myself, for example, have eaten Vegetarian stuff my whole life but I wasn't until I learned how animals in Sweden are treated that I decided to go Vegan. So "scaring" people absolutely work if you want them to actually understand what you want. We don't want less abuse - we want no abuse.

The same way you wouldn't say it's okay to eat human babies once a week, I don't think it's okay to eat other animal babies once a week.

Niklas
2017-09-28 17:43

I think it’s unrealistic to hope that humans can be changed 100 percent all at once. For many meat eaters the comparison of animals and babies feel as strange as if vegans were told that eating living organisms like fruit and vegetables is like eating babies. The leap is too big. Look at Forks over knives. I think they are doing it right. No scare tactics, just tasty food and good examples of healthy people eating plant based food. Once people are vegetarians the step to Vegan isn’t that long. An all or nothing approach will likely result in almost nothing in this case. I understand that you reason the way you do about why everyone should be Vegan, but I don’t believe that’s an efficient way to sway large groups of people. You must speak to people in a language they understand. You must appear to be on their side or they won’t even listen. That’s my thinking. :-)

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

vendelay
2017-09-28 19:37

Yeah, I understand how you think and tbh, I don't know which way is the "best" way. In Sweden, for example, we have a huge animal rights organization called Djurens Rätt (Animals rights) and a much smaller one called Djurrättsalliansen (The alliance of animals). The reason Djursens Rätt are so extremely much bigger is because they mainly focus on animal welfare and Djurrättsalliansen are focusing on animal rights. Djurens Rätt somehow because an easy excuse for people to get members, telling everyone that they are animal lovers but they can still eat animal products and no one cares.

The problem isn't how the pigs are killed, the problem is that they are killed. 

The organizations that works in the way you prefer helps people make excuses for continuing their abuse. I'm not saying that Djurens Rätt isn't doing good - because they absolutely do! Of course I rather want cow to have a better life than a worse life before they are killed, but most of all I'd rather we didn't kill them at all. 

I actually haven't watched Forks over knives, there are way too many movies and books etc I need to see / listen to / read and I can't find the time for all of them - but I've heard that documentaryis supposed to be really good and eye-opening :)

Scroll to top
Annons: