Annons:
Tagvegan-foods
Read 3782 times
vendelay
2017-10-26 17:00

More and more vegan ice creams!

These last two years or so a whole bunch of new Vegan ice creams have been produced.

I'm guessing no one's missed Ben & Jerry's "Everything but the cow"? In Sweden we have Chocolate Fudge Browine, Chunkey Monkey and P.B. & Cookies but in the U.S. they have 7 different ones!

I've tried the flavours we have in Sweden and I wasn't overwhelmed but my favorite is the P.B. one!

Another huge company that has hopped on the Vegan trend is Häägen-Dazs, with the flavours Chocolate Salted Fudge Truffle, Coconut Caramel, Mocha Chocolate Cookie and Peanut butter Chocolate Fudge. I'm not sure if these are available to buy somewhere yet, but at least not in Sweden.

Halo Top is not a brand I know of but it seems to be pretty big in the U.S. Some of their new Vegan flavours include Chocolate covered banana, Cinnamon roll and Sea salt caramell.

… Now I'm really craving ice cream! In love

Annons:
Niklas
2017-10-26 17:57

It probably doesn’t count as Vegan but I like Oatly chocolate ice cream. It’s best just before it melts.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

vendelay
2017-10-26 20:11

#1 What do you mean "it probably doesn't count"?

Niklas
2017-10-27 10:49

Since its made from oats fertilized by whatever it’s called that is a by-product of something from animals I guess it isn’t really Vegan.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

be vegan
2017-10-27 13:00

#3 Do you believe that any organic produce is Vegan?

We haven't come that far in fertilization options since we have mountains of animal by products to use. 

There is people working on options, but as long as we insist on killing 70 billion land living animals every year for no good reason except that they taste good, we are going to use the by products because it's dirt cheap.

Flowersite moderator for veganism savvityFlower

Niklas
2017-10-27 15:43

There probably are some smaller farms using other fertilizers but probably not on an industrial scale.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

vendelay
2017-10-27 20:33

I agree with be Vegan. I mean, I buy my groceries at regular stores like ICA or Hemköp. If we didn't eat the meat we wouldn't have to deal with the poop. Simple as that. Oatly is Vegan, and their chocolate ice cream is dreeeeamy! I do prefer vanilla though 🙂

Annons:
be vegan
2017-10-28 18:05

#5 And that's sort of  my point. If we buy organic foods it's unavoidable with animal by products. So if for example you consider organic tomatoes to be Vegan, Oatly should be Vegan toWinking

If you don't consider any organic produce to be Vegan then you have to consider the options we have of chemical fertilizer and the problems that comes with that. 

We're caught between a rock and a hard place at this point. But to make it easy I think we need to consider all plant based foods as Vegan. Otherwise we're not left with a whole lot to eatWinking

FYI the plant based ice cream market is predicted to grow🙂

https://www.livekindly.co/plant-based-ice-cream-billion/

Niklas
2017-10-29 10:41

I was referring to the bone meal that is used as fertilizer for oat crops.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

be vegan
2017-10-29 14:06

#8 I understand that. But bone meal is used to fertilize other organic produce as well. 

So if you don't consider Oatly Vegan because of that, then you really have to consider all organic produce to be non Vegan, right?

Niklas
2017-10-29 19:42

Yes. I consider it Vegetarian.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

be vegan
2017-10-30 12:47

I see. What about commercial produce with all the chemicals and pesticides that hurts the animals and the enviroment?

Niklas
2017-10-30 16:01

#11: By themselves I see them as Vegetarian too.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

be vegan
2017-10-30 17:03

#12 What foods do you consider Vegan then?

I mean it is true of course that vegans do eat Vegetarian food. But that word has lost its true meaning and been hijacked by the lacto/ovo vegetarians.

Annons:
Niklas
2017-11-01 21:13

I know to little to be able to answer that. Blueberries, lingonberries, mushrooms and other fruit and vegetables that grow naturally probably are Vegan.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

be vegan
2017-11-02 14:27

But that would mean that there is no vegans in the cold parts of the world and probably not many in the warmer parts either.

Wait a minute, are you just messing with me?… ThinkingLaughing

Niklas
2017-11-02 15:36

Nope, I’m not messing with you but I’m also not a Vegan. I just interpret what I have read and tell you what I think. If it’s not okay to wear leather from animals that have been eaten, then I can’t see how it would be okay to eat vegetables that have been fertilized with the same animal's ground bones.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

be vegan
2017-11-02 23:20

Well, I'm glad we cleared that up then.

But look at the options that we have, organic produce ferilized with bone meal vs. conventional produce fertilized with chemicals and sprayed with pesticides toxic to both wildlife and enviroment.

I totally disagree that it's not Vegan to eat organic plantbased foods bought in regular supermarkets when most people don't have a choice. It's unrealistic that anyone could survive on wild berries and mushrooms, it's not possible.

Leather on the other hand we can easily replace with other fabrics. You can see the difference in need?

Niklas
2017-11-03 13:06

Yes, I see the difference between organic and non organic. Almost all food we buy is organic. But organic and Vegan isn’t the same thing in my eyes and my interpretation of Vegan isn’t that interesting, since I am not a Vegan but someone who likes Vegan and Vegetarian food.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

be vegan
2017-11-03 15:19

#18 I think it's interesting how you reason about this anyway. I agree that it's not the same thing, organic beef is not Vegan for example.

The difference I was talking about though is not the difference between organic vs. conventional, but the difference in need between food and leather.

You said (#16 "why is one okay but not the other") that you didn't see the difference between leather and organic produce, so I explained that the difference is need and the choice that we have.

Niklas
2017-11-03 15:23

Okay. I’ll get back if I find another example that isn’t leather.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
be vegan
2017-11-03 15:51

It will still be need or necessity vs. something that we can replace.

Vegans seek to exclude all forms of animal exploitation as far as it's possible and practicable. To exclude buying food in the supermarket is not possible or practicable for most people.

Evelina
2017-12-18 22:17

I love the oatly ice cream too! My favorite is to make a blackberry milkshake with the vanilla oatly ice-cream, oatly milk and frozen blackberries! Strawberries are also yummy with vanilla oatly  ice cream 🙂 Oooh or even I've made Vegan cookie dough and mixed it will the vanilla oatly. So good!

be vegan
2017-12-20 01:37

#22 That sounds delicious, especially the milkshake In love

Scroll to top
Annons: